Pages

Monday 23 March 2015

Persuasive Writing

One of my favourite types of writing to teach my grade two students is persuasive writing. I really enjoy hearing their opinions (Yes. They've got opinions!) and the reasoning behind their thinking. Our conversations are always very engaging and students begin to debate with one another naturally. I find that using Mo Willem's "pigeon" books is a great way to introduce  persuasive writing because children think the books are hilarious and we can either agree or disagree with the pigeon. 
We used "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late" by Mo Willems to do a visual tug of war. The students were so excited to hear what one another said and to see which side "won". It was very engaging activating activity.

Here is what a few of them said about "Would you let the pigeon stay up late?":
No, I would not let the pigeon stay up late because after he falls asleep I will have peace and quiet.
I would make the pigeon go to bed so he doesn't have read eyes. Yawn, yawn.
No, I would not let him stay up late because it's probably past his bedtime.
I would let him stay up late so we can play together. 
Yes, I would let the pigeon stay up late so we can have a party.
I'd let the pigeon stay up late so he could eat hot dogs with me and my cat.



No comments:

Post a Comment